Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fire Station & Pool Party

I've really been slacking on blogging these past few weeks.  I've just been busy and haven't been taking as many pictures.  I have a lot today...pictures from the last two weeks or so.  I do have some good news to share.  We received the results from the girls' heavy metal tests last week, and the lead and mercury is still out of their systems.  I don't know if you remember, but when we did the initial challenge last year, both girls had high levels in their bodies.  We spent all last summer doing chelation, which flushes it out of the body.  This last test was a follow-up to see if the metals were still gone or if they had returned.  Thank goodness they aren't being exposed to it.  I still have no idea how it got into their systems to begin with.

Our next step of experimentation is to give them high doses of folinic acid.  Like always, Dr. Berger says he has seen and read reports of this working in autistic kids, and that it promotes language, communication and overall cognitive improvements.  I've gotten to the point where I don't expect anything to work, and if it does, I'll be shocked.  We've always been in the percentage of those who don't see any effects from any of the treatments we've tried.  I'm starting to wonder if anything is ever going to work.  I know that's a negative attitude, but I feel like we're running out of ideas here, and neither of them are any closer to talking than they were two years ago. I just want them to be able to say something....anything....in context.  Or answer a question.  Or tell me that the sky is blue.  Or that they hear a dog barking.  Anything.

Anyway, here are some Reese pics from a week or so ago.  She was in a giddy mood, so I got lots of cute shots of her and her huge gigantic adult-sized teeth!  I can't believe they're already in.  She's lost eight so far, and the third top tooth has just broken through.


This is Paige's new favorite book. She likes to repeatedly push the "purple" button....purple purple purple...over and over...haha.  


She is constantly cleaning off her book shelf and tossing all her books all over the place.  If I catch her doing it, she will act like she's putting them back on the shelf.  But as soon as I walk out, those poor books are history.  Here she is playing with a balloon that one of my friends at the Y gave to me for passing my Body Pump certification.  She and Reese both had a hey day playing with it!


More cute pictures of Reese and her favorite jacket.


Paige in motion...hence the blurry shot.  And she still likes to chew on things, so she still wears her chewy necklace to school so she won't chew up everyone's backpack straps!  She's like a human billy goat!


Reese still loves her books :)


Reese's class and a few others went on a field trip to the Winter Haven Fire Station on Friday, and I went along.  As you can see, she was the only one in her class who couldn't care less about this fire truck.  I really wanted a picture of her with the fireman, and she really wanted no part of it.


She did go into the fire truck eventually, and she decided to just sit right down.  Now she liked that and she didn't want to get out!  Papa David will love that :)


With a little coaxing, she did hold the hose :)


We were going to get in the pool today, but it looked a little cloudy for some reason.  We knew Paige would drink the water, so we just pulled out the little blow-up pool and made do.  She LOVED it and had so much fun!

This is her look of excitement....she was going, "Ooooooooooooh!"  She loves to flick water everywhere.


Reese just wanted to play in her play hut.   She's growing up so fast.


That's it for now.  Hope you have a great week!

2 comments:

Teresa C said...

Missy,

I read this every week. I love watching the girls grow up on here. My prayer is that one day you get your miracle treatment and that the girls will be able to communicate to you all the amazing things that are going on in their incredible little minds. You are an amazing mom and advocate for your children. You are a hero of mine!
Teresa C.

The Hursts said...

I'm encouraged by your vulnerability every time you share about your girls and their struggle. Glad to hear the good news about the heavy metal testing and praying that every good option and treatment would be made known to you and Marshall. Much peace and strength and grace to you in the meantime. Hugs!