Sunday, October 14, 2012

Family fun, canoes & 4-wheelers :)

I have lots of things to share today!  I also have lots of pictures, so I'll get right to them.  The girls had a fantastic evening with Grandma Darlene & Papa David on Thursday.  They always come over while I teach my spin class, and when I came home, they were out exploring in the front yard.  Both girls were giggling and having such a great time, so naturally,  I ran inside and grabbed my camera.

Paige was in a trance in this first picture...she gets in the zone when she sees birds flying overhead...haha.  She loves riding on Papa's shoulders, and she loves to feel his hair, grab his head, and even lay her own head on top of his.

Reese had fun doing what she loves to do most...look for leaves and spin around.


These are from Wednesday...Paige just being in a fun & silly mood in the afternoon.  I just love her hair in pigtails :)


Friday was a big day for us.  Reese had her very first dentist appointment.  I know she should have gone years ago, but with her issues, I just didn't want to have to deal with the meltdown that would ensue.  But she's six now, and she has officially lost THREE teeth.  Her third one came out on Wednesday.  So we visited Bright Smiles in Winter Haven.  I highly recommend it to anyone with a child.  The staff is very patient and understanding.  They even have days where they only see special needs children.  They allow for longer appointments and work around the child's needs & issues.  Reese loved their waiting room.  When it was time to go to the back, they let her roam around for a while and check everything out.

She wanted no part of getting xrays, so that was a no-go.  She did eventually let the hygenist brush her teeth.  Dr. Chen came in later and Reese let her look at her teeth.  She was really amazing...she even sings while she's doing her cleaning.  She's pretty young and was really good with Reese.  The best part was that Reese got a great report!  Her teeth look very white and healthy.  I'm really glad she doesn't like candy or sugar...and she will only drink water.  So at least we have that on our side!  We have to work on flossing next...

Here is Reese checking out the area...and one of her in the waiting room.


Saturday was the Paddle For Kids canoe race in Winter Haven.  This was SO much fun!  I had never done anything like it before, and I'm glad I joined in and got a boat full of paddlers to participate.  Our team raised $1,200 for Our Children's Academy.  My sister Kim, her husband, my niece Sarah and her boyfriend all rode with us in the boat.  Several of my friends from the YMCA came along, plus a few others.  I have to say the best part was that WE WON!!!  There were six boats...one of which was filled with SWAT Team men.  Yep...huge muscles and all that strength...well, it didn't do them any good because they had no idea what they were doing.  We had a wonderful person steering for us in the back...Alan...who is Laura's husband.  He knew just what to tell us at the right time, and we smoked everyone else!  We had the best time in all three of our races!  It was really cool...especially since everyone was really intimidated by those SWAT guys.  Apparently they need to work out more because they did nothing impressive, to say the least...haha.

Here is Kim and me...Kim donated a lot of money for us!


Marshall and me before the race...


The awesome Jennifer and me...she raised A LOT of money for us!  I have to say that this girl is an amazing friend!  How can I have only known her for just under two years?  She is very special to me.


Jennifer's co-worker and friend, Cookie, Jennifer and me...Cookie also raised a bunch of dough for us.  Thanks, Cookie!


Marshall, me, Vince and my niece Sarah...Vince was the guy who hopped out of our boat each time to ring the bell.  He is super fast!  So glad he joined us :)


The winning team!  Our team name was "If You Only Canoe"...haha!  I think everyone was thinking that the little PTO boat wouldn't do anything...well...you know...we sort of won...haha!  Not bad for a bunch of first-timers!  Our other paddlers were Chris (a parent from the school), Laura and her husband, Alan (they both rocked it!), Cat & Bill (both spin with us at the Y, and they're awesome!).  Those wearing pink took part in the Breast Cancer Awareness Walk earlier in the morning in Lake Wales. 


Laura, me and Jennifer with our trophy :)  Laura raised a big chunk of money for us, too.


Me and the trophy!  I am so proud of these guys.  They are all on board to do it again next year!


Today was 4-wheelin' day for the Whiddens :)  We decided to take a break from swimming and go for a ride.  It was a nice day, and the girls had a great time.


We have a trailer full of pumpkins that were donated for OCA's Fall Festival coming up in a few weeks.  We're just hanging on to them until then, and I just had to stick Paige in the middle of them for a picture...haha.


Reese wanted no part of the pumpkins.  She did, however, want to check out all the machinery down at Papa Gary's packing house.


And it wouldn't be a complete day unless Pippy got to swing around...


Well, that's it for now.  Oh, the girls are still doing well with their B12 shots.  It has only been a week, but I haven't seen any changes yet.  The girls practically laugh when we give them the shots...they're so tiny that they don't even feel them.  Thank goodness for that!

Well, have a great week and we'll see you next Sunday!

No comments: