Sunday, June 3, 2012

My little Graduate

Well, it's official.  I have a Pre-K graduate in my house.  Sniff sniff.  Reese graduated on Thursday from OCA in a cute little ceremony at the Presbyterian Church in Lake Wales.  Almost the whole family came to show their support for her, and she did a great job.  I knew going in to this event that she would have problems wearing the cap and gown.  She has had issues with fabrics for a long time, and a graduation gown is probably as bad as it gets for a child like Reese.  Her teachers tried several times to put it on her, but she just completely melted down and couldn't stand it.  So, needless to say, she walked across the stage in her street clothes.  Although I knew she wouldn't be wearing the gown or cap, I was still sad that all the other kids were and my child wasn't.  There was one other child not wearing it, so she wasn't completely by herself.  It still hurts, though, when your child just doesn't do what every other typical kid does.

There were 39 children in the graduating class, and Reese was the third from the last child called since she's a W.  All of the kids were paraded in, and then they gathered on stage and sang a song.  Then they all sat down and waited for their names to be called.  I was worried that Reese wouldn't sit and wait, but she did a great job.  Her teacher, Mrs. Susanne and her OT, Mrs. Megan, were there helping her, and she did so great!  When her name was called, she walked with Mrs. Susanne across the stage...and she actually looked at the crowd and smiled!  Marshall was recording it and I was trying to take pictures...and, of course, my flash decided to overheat and needed a rest, so my camera stopped way before I was ready.  I hate inside photos!  Ugh.  Anyway, I did get several pictures.  We were all so proud of Reese!  I can't believe she will be six in September and is starting kindergarten in a few months.

Here is the video of Reese on stage...it was chaotic because it was at the end.  And I really doubt she had any clue what was really happening.  I wish she could just tell me what she's thinking.  She still looked adorable up there! 


She decided to sit in Mrs. Megan's lap.


Reese Whidden! 


This was before the ceremony. You can see what happened when we tried to put the gown on her...


And this is Reese being as happy as a lark, not wearing that gown. No big deal...let her be happy!


Friday was Field Day at OCA, and I was there helping out and taking pictures of all the kids & events. Here are some cute ones I took of my sweet babies :) Reese had to check out the bean bag thingy. Each class had a theme & matching tshirts...Reese's class was the Slithering Snakes and had cute green tie-dyed shirts. They were big and scratchy, so you can see that she's just in her swimsuit and shorts. No shirt for her!


Paige had lots of fun swinging. Her class did a Cat in the Hat theme, and all the kids were "Things." Paige was "Thing 6"...haha.


Paige decided to follow Mr. Shaz through the maze...he's her OT. She kept trying to get him to pick her up, but he made her work!


Mrs. Michelle & Miss Ashley taking Paige for a walk...so cute.


Reese had fun running around the PE field...doing her own thing instead of playing the games. Whatever makes her happy!


Pool time this afternoon!


Reese wouldn't stop giggling here...she usually doesn't want anything to do with Paige, but she just kept laughing! It was a funny moment :)

That's it! This is the last week of school, so it should be a fun one. See you next weekend :)

No comments: