Sunday, May 13, 2012

A visit to Bok Tower

Happy Sunday! Time for another blog post already. It's Mother's Day, and I've had a pretty typical day.  I have really slacked on my weekly picture-taking skills.  I get so busy lately that I forget to snap any here and there. 

We've all had a great week.  I took Paige to meet her new pediatrician on Friday.  We have officially switched to Dr. Whitworth at Kinder Clinic in Winter Haven.  She is awesome!  Paige got a great report, and it was nice to hear that she didn't need anymore shots until she's ready to start Kindergarten.  She weighs 32 pounds 1 ounce, and I can't remember how tall she is...how bad is that?!  She really seemed to like this new doctor...she even laughed throughout the entire exam.  I feel like this was the right move for us.  Having special needs kids is a whole different ball game, and Dr. Whitworth sees a lot of them.  She sees several children from OCA, so she is familar with them.  I really loved Dr. LaRue, but I felt as if he didn't really think my concerns were that important sometimes.  I knew something was up with Reese when she was 15 months old, and he kept telling me it was nothing...just wait...she'll get it.  Well, at 2 1/2 she still wasn't "getting it."  I wish I would have listened to my instincts back then!  Now that we're seeing Dr. Berger (our Autism doctor in Tampa), we've stepped up their treatments with all of these vitamins & supplements, plus we're doing the metal chelation to flush out the mercury & lead.  When I told Dr. LaRue this, his words were, "Don't worry about that...everybody has mercury & lead in their bodies."  It was just really difficult to have two doctors who were on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.  I didn't know which way to go...I was very confused.  And with my kids being the way they are, I don't have time to be confused.  Dr. Whitworth shares the same mindset as Dr. Berger.  Another concern of mine is antibiotics.  You won't leave Dr. LaRue's office without a prescription for an antibiotic...usually Augmentin.  I noticed he never checks to see whether the issue is viral or bacterial...and that makes a HUGE difference in what the child needs.  And I discovered that Augmentin is VERY strong, and isn't needed for something like an ear infection.  He was aware of all the things my girls were on, and he'd still prescribe it.  I never realized it killed the bacteria in your body that you actually NEED.  So instead of helping them, it seems like I was hurting them instead.  I just feel like this is the right move...Dr. Whitworth completely supports our Autism treatment plan, and I feel so much more at ease that she doesn't counteract what Dr. Berger is telling us.  Dr. LaRue is what I call "old-school," and there is nothing wrong with that...but it's just not for us anymore.  I will miss him...he's a great man and has been very sweet & good to us.  Different times & issues call for changes, though.

We took the girls to Bok Tower this morning.  Reese had a great time; she was right in her element with so many leaves to hunt for.  Paige, on the other hand, took a while to warm up.  She kept wanting to be held, but eventually she ran around.  Poor Marshall was worn out...she chased him the entire time, wanting him to swing her around.  She gets mad really quickly if you don't do it when she wants, so we are trying to not give in to her every whim.  You'd think with all this space, she'd want to run free...but nooooooo.  It's amazing how different the girls are.  Reese was completely content doing her own thing.  She loved these huge leaves!  Here are the pics I got today.

Happy Mothers Day!! See you next week :)

3 comments:

The Eckers said...

I love the pics of you and Reese in front of the flowers!! I am glad you changed doctors, it sounds like a good choice...even though a hard one. I didn't realize augmentin killed good bacteria as well. I will have to keep that in mind(when Grace gets an ear infection we need the strong stuff!) Happy Mother's Day!

The Hursts said...

Glad to hear about your doctor switch... I think that was a smart move! Happy Mother's Day, Missy!

Unknown said...

Love resses smile have a good weekend