Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter week

Another Sunday has come & almost gone, so that means it's time for me to update the blog. Today is Easter, and it sure did get here fast. I wish I could write about all the fun my children had hunting eggs and all the excitement of finding a goodie-filled basket from the Easter Bunny, but I can't. If you've read my blurbs before, then you know why. My kids just don't get it. I really dread these kind of holidays...the ones I loved as a child and couldn't wait to share with my own children. I remember thinking how I couldn't wait to dye eggs with my kids! That was the one tradition I was so excited to take part in. But it really is no fun if I'm doing it all alone, while my girls have no clue or interest in what I'm doing. So we don't do it. And to be honest, I really can't stand to watch the kids across the street at the church hunting for eggs every year. I can't explain how bad I want my kids to be able to do that! To actually understand it and want to do it. It's just like Christmas and birthdays...they just keep on passing by and my kids just are just clueless to them and what is supposed to be fun about them. I mean Reese has had five birthdays and six Christmases and she has yet to open a gift.

I know I sound like Debbie Downer, but that's just how I've felt lately. It's hard to get excited about these kinds of things when you have autistic children. I wish I could take apart their brains and rewire them. We should be able to get started on the metal chelation soon...the grand total for all those suppositories & the cream that goes with them is unbelievable. Way too much to spend at one time. That's another fun side effect of having special needs kids...being broke all the time! But that's just the way it goes because I'd rather be broke and do everything possible to help them than to just sit back and do nothing. This is just so hard in so many ways. I just have a hard time accepting the fact that my kids aren't like everyone else's.

Anyway...I'll get on to the pictures. Aside from me being sad over all this, the girls did have fun at their school egg hunt. They didn't hunt any eggs (of course) but they did enjoy running around the park and playing on the equipment. We also took them 4-wheeling this afternoon, which they always love.

The girls did get baskets, and I did give them to them to see what would happen. Reese sort of looked at, and then I handed her one of the little journals inside it. She loves books & pages, and so the Bunny loaded her up with several of those :)


Paige actually looked at her basket, but then went right back to playing with her old Lego. The Bunny put a squishy little monster in hers and she gave it a touch and then tossed it...haha.


I dug an egg out of the basket and she did play with that for a few minutes.



The best part of our day :)







It looks like she's praying here, but she's doing the "here comes Mr. Alligator" part of the Five Little Monkeys song. They sing this song every day at school, and she has started to learn some of the hand motions. So whenever I sing it, most times she'll do her hands like this.


For Easter dinner, we went to Papa Gary's house. There were millions of leaves on the ground, so Reese went on a mission to find the perfect one. We spent quite a bit of our visit right here in the yard.




Paige holding her basket at the school egg hunt for about 5 seconds before she hurled it! And she got mad at the eggs and threw them and tried kicking them...sigh.



These are the only pictures I got of Reese...I was too busy chasing Paige all over creation. She kept running to the ball fields!



I pulled out one of Reese's old dresses and it fit Paige perfectly! I decided to try a little Spring photo shoot. She doesn't stand still long enough to pose for me once she's outside, so these are all action shots. But they turned out cute, even if the water hose is in most of the shots...haha.

So serious before going outside...














And as much as I would LOVE to put a dress on Reese, she just can't handle the way they feel. They drive her over the edge, and it's just not worth making her uncomfortable. So many things about Sensory Processing Disorder just don't make sense to me or you, but they do to her. With that being said...Reese had no Easter dress, so it's her usual tank top & shorts :) And THAT is worth seeing the smile on her face.






Guess who got into the powder again?



That's it for this week. I can't believe tomorrow is Monday again. Hope you all have a great week!

3 comments:

The Hursts said...

Learning so much from your blog posts lately and I think you have great courage to share with others... what is it about Easter baskets or wrapped birthday or Christmas gifts that your girls shy away from? The newness/unfamiliarity? or overwhelming colors and objects?? Because they do like playing with their existing toys, right? Just trying to understand more.

Missy Whidden said...

Thanks, Emily! I have no idea why they aren't interested. They just literally don't understand it. They can't grasp the concept of holding a basket and picking up eggs. I can spread them out in the yard and it's like they don't even see them. The same with presents...I've tried putting a box in their lap and taking their hands & helping them tear the paper, but they just want it out of their way so they can get up and go. It's very hard to understand it...I surely don't and I live with it every day! They just have their patterns, and they don't want anything to interfere with it. They don't understand that there is a cool surprise inside if I open this box...I wish I knew why they don't "get it." It's extremely frustrating!

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.